SWGTC Academic Dismissal and Reinstatement Policy
A student may be dismissed from his/her program or from Southwest Georgia Technical College for academic deficiency. If a student is dismissed for academic deficiency, no due process hearing shall be required.
1. Students must maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA to be in satisfactory academic standing.
2. Students whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 will be placed on academic probation for the next academic term.
3. The semester GPA must be 2.0 or above at the end of the probationary term to maintain satisfactory status.
Failure to maintain satisfactory status during a probationary term will result in dismissal. A student dismissed due to academic deficiency may reapply for admission after waiting one (1) full term.
1. Students must reapply through the Admissions Office in Student Affairs.
2. Upon readmission, the student must make a 2.0 or above each term to maintain satisfactory standing or will be dismissed.
3. Any student dismissed from a program for the second time due to academic deficiency cannot reapply to that program but may apply for admission to any other program at the College.
4. Students who enroll in a second or subsequent program will have their quality points and credits earned in one program transferred to the new program for all certificate, diploma, or degree credit classes.
5. Overall GPA must be 2.0 or better before graduation can occur.
Graduation grade point average is calculated on all courses attempted at SWGTC. When a course is taken more than once, the final grade will be used in calculating the grade point average for graduation.
The Vice President for Academic Affairs has the overall responsibility for ensuring this policy is implemented.
Revised: 12-5-00; 2-5-02; 2-1-05; 10-8-09