SWGTC Smoking and Tobacco Use Policy
Substantial evidence exists that smoking is unhealthy for those who smoke and for nonsmokers exposed to secondary smoke. Southwest Georgia Technical College developed this policy to establish a tobacco-free workplace. The regulations of this policy are as follows:
1. All Southwest Georgia Technical College campuses are tobacco-free environments. Tobacco use is prohibited inside and outside all buildings and parking lots and within any College vehicle or any vehicle operated by the College. Neither smoking nor the use of tobacco products are allowed on any SWGTC campus outside of a personal vehicle. Disposing of cigarette/cigar butts, other tobacco products, or tobacco residue in the parking lots or on any SWGTC property is not allowed. This policy applies to all persons while on campus.
2. Monetary fines and/ or sanctions will be levied for the violations as follows:
|♦||Disposing of tobacco products or residue on SWGTC property.||$10|
|♦||Smoking on campus or use of tobacco products on campus.||$10|
|♦||Second Offense within twelve months.||$25|
|♦||Third Offense within twelve months.||$50|
|♦||Fourth Offense within twelve months will be referred to the respective Vice President
for appropriate disciplinary action which could include but is not limited to a fine of:
3. This policy is communicated through various sources, including but not limited to new employee orientation, new student orientation, catalog/handbook, College policies, department meetings, employee newsletters, signage, and verbal communication.
4. Sidewalks, streets, and neighboring property are not to be used as tobacco use areas.
5. Employees are required to follow and support this policy and to work in a positive manner in influencing other employees, students, and visitors to refrain from any tobacco use
Fines must be paid to Administrative Services within five days of the violation. Students who do not pay fines promptly will have accounting holds placed on their student accounts in the Banner Student System until such time as payment is made.
The Vice President of Economic Development has the overall responsibility for ensuring this policy is implemented.
TCSG Policy II.C.7 Tobacco Use
Revised: 8-6-96; 12-5-00; 9-2-03;06-01-04; 02-01-05; 04-05-11